The DIscovery and Journey of the Casein Free, HFCS Free, Artificial Color Free diet

Our Journey: The Casein Free, HFCS Free, Artificial Color Free diet .

Monday, July 18, 2011

Chia - The "Happy Pill"


I have moved my blog to another page. Please visit me here!


Carrie

Chia Seeds

It is important here that I mention that although all of the Omega's are important (3, 6, 9) our bodies currently have  WAY TOO MUCH Omega 6 and hardly any Omega 3. According to my research and the links below, the "Ideal" ratio is 1:1. According to Sally Fallon in her book "Nourishing Traditions"
most of us eat a ration of 1:20 !!!!!!!! Which is leading to all sorts of health issues. Heart Disease and inflammation being just a couple.  It is very difficult to find foods that have more Omega 3 than 6. Certain types of fish do, but let's be realistic. It would be easier for me to single handedly build a spaceship than get Mae to eat something she doesn't like on a daily basis!!!  So the source of Omega 3's HAS to be tasteless and inconsequential.

Talk about a  GREAT MOOD BOOSTER!!! Just one hour after eating a Tablespoon of Organic Chia seeds - her mood lifts to the point of giddiness.  After she eats them (You're probably wondering how on earth I get her to eat them... Just be patient - I will tell you soon enough:) she starts running around the house with her sister acting silly and carefree. Now, for those of you new to this whole philosophy and diet, it might not work as quickly. Some say it takes several weeks for the first real "kick" of upbeat mood. But at this point Mae has been, for the most part, 100% free of artificial color, flavor, HFCS, and Casein for over a year and a half. 

So now, for the moment you've all been waiting for....
How I get her and her sister to eat them.
the answer: Fruit Smoothie! (This recipe is for her and her sister to share - I add more if I am having some)
I simply put a few
Frozen or Fresh
Strawberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Banana
2 Tablespoons of Chia seeds
2 Tablespoons of Calcium liquid 
(This is also how I get the Calcium in her!)
Water

Blend and VWALAA!
The only way I can think of to explain the taste and texture of the Chia seeds is to liken them to the little black seeds on the outside of a strawberry.  Once Mae heard this she swallowed them right down without a word.

NOTE 1:
I highly recommend giving the smoothie at least 4 hours before bedtime :)
All of the fiber seems to run through them right around the 4 hour mark.
Can anyone say "Potty Time!"
 NOTE 2:
Beware of the farts! They will create a lovely musical sound around the house - lol
which is highly beneficial for the entertainment of the young ones you are trying to cheer up! Just go with the flow....

There is an incredible amount of research detailing the effects of Omega 3's on Mood. Here are a few I ran across today:

ScienceDaily (Mar. 4, 2006)
ACT - Changing Tomorrow (December 11, 2007)
Omega 3 Fatty Acid Treatment in Autism (February 14, 2010)


If you are wondering which seeds I buy here is the link:
Navitas Organic Raw Chia Seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment